June 1st is the official start of hurricane season in the Lowcountry. Though we all hope that there are no serious storms, it is best to be prepared! Below is a list of items that you might want to keep on hand, just in case!
- Battery-powered radio
- Flashlight for each member of the family
- Battery-operated lantern and extra fresh batteries
- First-aid kit
- Disposable plates and utensils
- Non-electric can opener
- Bottled water and an adequate supply of non-perishable food
- Corded telephone or cell phone (cordless phones won't work if the power is out)
- List of emergency phone numbers
Charleston County has posted a Hurricane Guide on their web site. Access it by clicking here.